So what do you do if you’re weird like Husband and I and not eat all of the Oreos or Girl Scout cookies? You put them into MORE cookies! I got the idea while perusing Pinterest when I came across a recipe from one of my favorite recipe blogs, Lauren’s Latest. Her recipe called for only Oreos, but we didn’t have enough. Enter in: Thin Mint cookies. The addition of the Thin Mints make these cookies a taste roulette–you’re never quite sure what you’re going to get! Also, I wanted to make my double recipe slightly less decadent, so I toned down the sugar and butter and used natural applesauce. Natural applesauce is my new baking love because it does a great job of mimicking the texture of butter without the crazy fat and calories. So, voila! These are delicious. They are chewy and gooey and wonderful. Husband and I think these are like a cookie-brownie hybrid. Be forewarned, the batter is really addicting!
Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending on how much dough you eat
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup natural (nothing added) applesauce
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened baker’s chocolate powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 coarsely chopped Oreos
6 coarsely chopped Thin Mint cookies
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and keep beating.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, chocolate, baking soda and salt. Scrape the sides of the wet mixture and stir in the dry mixture by hand.
- Add in the good stuff (cookies and chips) and gently stir.
- Let the dough chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Plop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the dough is no longer shiny. This will make for chewy cookies. If you want a crisper confection, let it bake for a couple more minutes.
- Let the cookies rest on their sheets for about 3 minutes then transfer them to wire racks to cool the rest of the way.
- Enjoy with milk OR, if you’re feel especially decadent, warmed up à la mode. Magic!