It turns out babies and dogs don’t know about Daylight Savings Time. Not that I can blame them, but 5:30 (new time) is still a little early to be waking up on a weekend. However, waking up so early allowed me to crank out some yummy cookies that will last for the next week or two. To make it, I used my basic chewy oatmeal cookie recipe, halved the butter, added in the banana and upped the flour. The cookies are delightfully chewy and you can think they’re healthy with the reduced butter, oatmeal, and bananas. Husband and baby (gasp!) approved. Yes, I, the Food Nazi (what my family lovingly calls me), gave Ben some cookie. He enjoyed it.
Chewy Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 3-3.5 dozen (depending on how much dough you eat while making them)
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking soda (3/4 tsp if no self-rising flour)
1 tsp salt (1 1/2 tsp if no self-rising flour)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup self-rising flour (if you don’t have self-rising flour, double the flour and increase the baking soda and salt by 50%)
1 cup mashed bananas (roughly 2 medium-large bananas)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 cups quick cooking oats
- Preheat the oven to 325
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, salt and baking soda.
- With a hand mixer in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and the vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Mix in the flour in thirds and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and fold in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets and bake for 12 minutes until the cookies are no longer shiny. My oven is somewhat terrible, so 13-ish minutes was premium with this piece of garbage.
- Allow to cool for five minutes on their sheets and then cool the rest of the way on wire cooling racks. Enjoy!