Having a one-year old, you figure out that there are some really scary things in this world. Here are some of the most terrifying things in the world, according to Ben.
- Cows. As adults, we think of cows as some of the most placid animals around. All they do is sit around and chew on their cud. No biggie. For Ben, cows are both thrilling and scary. They are thrilling because they are like giant dogs and you get to pet them. They are terrifying when they moo. Sure, “moo” is one of the quintessential animal sounds that every toddler must know. Live action “moos” are a different story. Terrifying.
- Vacuum cleaners. Vacuum cleaners are a perennial fear for small children and animals everywhere. What’s not to be afraid of? They make loud noises and suck up those Cheerios that you hid in the corner for later. Terrifying.
- Hand mixers/blenders/food processors. Like cows, hand-held, noisy small kitchen appliances are fascinating and frightening. They are fascinating in that they mix things up and make things different. They are frightening in the evil sounds that they make. However, holding the Spatula of Power makes everything a little better. The devil is in those machines. Terrifying.
- Showers. Ben loves baths and swimming pools. Put him in the shower, he is a screaming ball of shaking one-year old. I tried to show him that the shower head was like the faucet and that he could wash in the shower. No dice. It is an evil contraption in league with the hand mixer. SUPER terrifying.
- Goats. Goats are shifty. I don’t blame him for that fear.