The last month of being land-animal free has been an adventure. A good adventure, but an adventure none-the-less. One thing I’m really happy about is that I’ve become much more creative with my cooking, especially when trying to find protein substitutes. While I really could eat my sweet potato patties every day, that’s a whole lot of sweet potato (speaking of which, eating the sweet potato patties with the beet and paneer paratha is AMAZING). My former riding instructor is a vegetarian/vegan chef and shared a recipe for black bean burgers.
James’s Black Bean Burgers
1 can black beans( well rinsed with cold water.)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp cilantro fresh and finely chopped
1/4 cup onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ancho chili pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tb bread crumbs
- In a medium bowl, mash the black beans, cilantro, onion and garlic with a potato masher.
- Add in the seasoning and stir everything together.
- Form the mixture into patties that are about a 1/2″ thick.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat some olive oil, and cook about 3 minutes per side.
I served mine up in a fresh, whole wheat pita, which I made using this recipe. Making your own pitas is ridiculously easy, so I’m sad that it’s taken me this long to make them. I served the burger with Greek yogurt on a pita.
In addition to the black bean burgers, I made a quinoa and beet salad. Quinoa is another really great source of protein. For those of you who are gluten-free, quinoa is a great option.
Quinoa and Beet Salad
2 beets, roasted, peeled and chopped
1 cups of dry quinoa (cook to package instructions)
1/3 cup of crumbled feta
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 olive oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the beets for 45 minutes in a 425 degree oven. When they are cool enough to handle, peel and roughly chop them.
- While the beets are cooking, cook 1 cup of quinoa according to the package’s instructions. I recommend using vegetable broth because it adds flavor.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper. While whisking the juice mixtures, stream in the olive oil.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and toss.